Year-End 遗产规划 Checklist
With 2022 just around the corner, now is the time to get your estate plan and finances ready for the new year!
Wondering where to start? Follow our simple Year-End 遗产规划 Checklist to feel 100% ready for anything 2022 may bring.
End-of-the-Year 遗产规划 Checklist
Has it been more than 5 years since you created or updated your estate plan?
- Contact our office to schedule a trust review appointment
Has it been 3 years or more since you updated your schedule of assets (Schedule “A”)?
- 点击这里 to download a schedule “A” template
- Fill out an updated schedule “A” and email a copy to our office (email@example.com)
Review the following estate plan documents to ensure they reflect your wishes. If you wish to make changes, contact our office to discuss these changes:
- Revocable Living 信任 (especially your trustees, 受益人, and guardianship for minor children)
- Financial Power of Attorney
- Advance Healthcare Directive
Do you wish to make monetary gifts this year? The annual gifting limit this year is $15,000 per recipient. Be sure to make these gifts before Dec. 31, 2021:
- Educational and medical exclusion gifts
- Charitable gifts
- Funding 529 Plans
- Funding Irrevocable 信托基金
In 2021, an individual can gift a maximum of $11.7 million over their lifetime. Think you may exceed this amount?
- Contact our office to determine a strategy to minimize the gift tax ramifications
退休 & 保险计划
- Confirm employer-sponsored benefits
- Fully fund 401K, 403B, or other employer-sponsored retirement plans before Dec. 31, 2021
- Fund non-employer retirement plans (like traditional and Roth IRAs) before Dec. 31, 2021
- Fund HSAs (health savings accounts) before Dec. 31, 2021
- If you’re over the age of 72 (or 70½ before Jan. 1, 2021), check that required minimum distributions from pre-tax retirement plans have been taken
Review life insurance policies:
- Ensure beneficiary designations reflect your wishes
- Make sure you have obtained sufficient death benefits
Review your beneficiary designations for the following types of accounts to ensure they reflect your wishes:
- Employer-sponsored benefits
- Bank and brokerage accounts (if P.O.D – payable on death)
Review jointly owned property documents to ensure they are titled in your trust and/or reflect your wishes:
- Deeds to real property
- Titles to all accounts
Planning to marry in 2022?
- Contact our firm to create a pre-nuptial agreement AND update your estate plan to reflect this change.
- Contact our firm to create a post-nuptial agreement AND update your estate plan to reflect this change.
If you have any questions about year-end estate planning, please contact our office.
Law Offices of Daniel A. 亨特
The Law Offices of Daniel A. 亨特 is a California law firm specializing in 遗产规划; 信任 Administration & Litigation; 遗嘱认证; and 管理. We've helped over 10,000 clients find peace of mind. We serve clients throughout the greater 萨克拉门托 region and the state of California.